There's a lot we don't know about this batch of presidential candidates. The information is out there; it just doesn't seem to float to the top very often. Maybe that's because it doesn't really matter much (or matters less tan it used to, at least). Here's another example....
Almost everyone is away that candidate Mitt Romney (R-Mass.)is a Mormon. What rarely gets mentioned is that the wife of candidate Chris Dodd (D-Conn.), Jackie Marie Clegg Dodd, is also a Mormon. Dodd's father was a U.S. Senator. In 1970, Dodd, a Catholic, married his father's speech writer, Susan Mooney. They divorced in 1982. Dodd dated for 17 years; his romantic interests included Bianca Jagger (Ex-wife of Rolling Stones singer Mick Jagger) and Carrie Fisher (who player Princess Leia in Start Wars). The in 1999 he married Clegg.
If you had to guess which presidential candidate was the bass player for a band that had opened for or played with stars like Willie Nelson, REO Speedwagon, Charlie Daniels, Alabama, and Grand Funk Railroad, who would you pick? Would it confuse you more if I told you the candidate was a Republican? Mike Huckabee is the answer. The former Arkansas governor is a blues and rock band leader as well as an ordained Southern Baptist minister (he went to Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Fort Worth, Texas).
There are 17 declared candidate in the two major parties. Where did your favorite go to college?
Hillary (D-NY) went to an all-girls school, Wellesley College, before doing her law degree at Yale (ironically, the alma mater of our current president). On the other hand, Romney, Obama (D-Ill.), and GOP hopeful Alan Keyes all get their last degree at Harvard. So will the fact that Harvard beat Yale this year make a difference in the campaign?
Here's a list:
- Joe Biden when to the University of Delaware and did his law degree at Syracuse University.
- Chris Dodd went to Providence College before doing his law degree at the University of Louisville.
- John Edwards (D-NC) started at Clemson, graduate from North Carolina State, and did his law degree at the University of North Carolina.
- Rudi Giuliani (R-NY) went to Manhattan College and on to New York University School of Law.
- Mike Gravel went to Columbia University.
- Mike Huckabee did his undergraduate work at Ouachita Baptist University.
- Duncan Hunter (R-Calif.) got his BA and his law degree from Thomas Jefferson School of Law in San Diego.
- Alan Keyes did his undergraduate work at Cornell.
- Dennis Kucinich (D-Ohio) went to Case Western Reserve University.
- John McCain (R-AZ) went to the Naval Academy.
- Ron Paul (R-Texas) went to Gettysburg College before getting his medical degree from Duke.
- Romney attended Stanford, but ended up doing his undergraduate work at Brigham Young.
- Obama finished up his undergraduate work at Columbia University before going on to Harvard.
- Bill Richardson (D-NM) went to Tufts University.
- Tom Tancredo (R-CO) went to the University of Northern Colorado.
- Fred Thompson (R-TN) got his undergraduate degree from the University of Memphis and did his law degree at Vanderbilt.
Other tidbits worth mentioning:
Ron Paul is a Republican, but he is also a member of the Libertarian Party. Bill Richardson was a French major in college. Mitt Romney's father ran for president in 1968. Duncan Hunter won a Bronze Star in Nam as an Army Ranger and went to college on the GI Bill. Rudi Giuliani was knighted by Quenn Elizabeth. And Fred Thompson was the GOP mole in the Watergate Hearings.