Friday, June 20, 2008

Did You Hear Michelle Obama Talk Trash About "Whiteys?"

Did you hear the news about Michelle Obama using the word "whitey" from the pulpit of Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago? The news about it is out there in the blogosphere and on the radio waves. It supposedly happened on July 1, 2004 in at the Rainbow/PUSH Coalition Conference in the Women’s Event.

There's only two problems:
  1. That meeting wasn't at the church; it was at the Chicago Sheraton.
  2. Michele Obama wasn't there.
So, back to the question in my title: Did you hear Michelle Obama talk trash about "Whiteys?" No. No one did, because she didn't. It's just part of the smear campaign...

Heard some other rumor? You can probably find the truth here: Fight the Smears

Michelle Obama & Mark Warner
© My Hobo Soul

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The "rumor" of a tape showing M. Obama using the word 'whitey' sounds about as credible as the assertion by some left-wing bloggers that the Forrestal Incident was caused by McCain.

BUT, if you read M. Obama's College Thesis, (a copy of which you can see here: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0208/8642.html )I believe that most thinking people would have to come to the conclusion that while there very probably is NOT a tape, M. Obama is certainly a racist.

Greg_Cruey said...

First, the document is 23 years old. I believe that most thinking people would have to come to the conclusion she thought a lot about being Black while she was in college. But, hey, Reagan was still President, Darrell Waltrip was Winston Cup champ, Foreigner & Madonna were at the top of the charts, and the USSR still existed. It was a long time ago. I don't think that most thinking people would have to come to any conclusions about what she thinks now based on a 20 year old document she did as part of a college assignment when she was 21 years old.

Is the document racist? I haven't read it. I probably won't. But the article by The Politico made me think more of common issue young adults deal with in college (personal isolation, your own identity and heritage, yada yada). I certainly don't think, for example, that I'm racist because I was once interested in my Scotch-Irish ancestry or my ties to the Melungeon community. Blacks and Whites in America DO have cultural differences. (I'm not suggesting that whites are a completely homogeneous group.) And White culture is the dominant culture. I don't think acknowledging that makes me a racist (a term I suspect you use mostly for its emotional value).

The Politico's conclusions are predictable. Their political neutrality has been questioned because of their ties to the Bush and Reagan administrations...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politico.com