Monday, May 26, 2008

This Year's Baby Bluebirds

Mom feeds the babies while Dad watches...I mentioned on April 27 that we had our bluebirds back. The egg count eventually rose to five, but I can only count three hatchlings without moving them around (which I don't want to do).

Last year I think the first set of babies left the nest around the second of June. That's about a week away and this year's kids look almost ready for that.

Mom and Dad bluebird have been very busy feeding the babies. We watch them fly hither and thither in search of protein for the little ones.

We'll see when they actually fly. Last year we cleaned the box out and they laid a second set of eggs. Something climbed the post, opened the latch, and took the eggs. So this year I've added the bungee cord around the box to prevent that...

This year's baby bluebirds...

No comments: